Saturday, March 22, 2014

R.I.P. Vogue

It is not realistic to expect someone I really like on every cover of Vogue.  I don't think Rhianna or Jennifer Lopez are ever good choices for high fashion.  Kate Upton is pretty low-rent as well.  But Kim Kardashian?  I think Buffy said it best:

Vogue is an institution.  Anna Wintour is the IRL Devil who wears Prada.  When I think of Vogue, I think of old school Sex and the City, I think of the era of the classic supermodel, I think of Chanel suits, I think of McQueen ball gowns, I think of the ideal of cutting edge splendor and luxury.  Here are things that will be forever associated with Kim Kardashian: a sex tape, BeBe, and Sears.

Anna Wintour has stated on record that she regrets putting the Spice Girls on the cover in the late 90s.  I understand that a lot of people hated that cover, and argued that the Spices were not representative of the Vogue ideal.  I loved that cover, but then again I was 12 when that cover came out and my bedroom was plastered in Spice memorabilia.  I am trying to be understanding here, but let's be honest, Victoria Beckham would rather gnaw off a foot than collaborate with Sears.

I'll be surprised if the Kardashian taint ever leaves.  Here are some classic covers to mourn what used to be the authority on high-end fashion and luxury. #RIP
[I know it's a Paris cover, but I've seen this image before and I adore it.]

[I remember seeing this issue on the newstand and thinking Madonna as Evita was so glam.]

[Of course I have to include this one.]






No comments:

Post a Comment